Sunday, 7 April 2013

April 6: Coming home

We started our return journey at 1 a.m. (European Central time) on Saturday morning and arrived home at 7 p.m. (B.C. time). We drove from Prague to Munich through the night and stopped twice to sleep for an hour both times. When we arrived at the airport, we were already exhausted and the journey was just beginning. We arrived early and returned the car without a problem and then went to check in. Check-in was easy and we even had enough time to be able to eat breakfast before our departure for our first flight.

Munich to Frankfurt was less than an hour and an easy flight but we knew the long one was coming. We had to run through the Frankfurt Airport to make our connection and it felt like our departing flight was on the complete other side of the airport. We made it through security and, although they were waiting for us at the gate, we made it just in time. 

The Frankfurt to Vancouver flight was 10 hours 10 minutes long and it seem to go on forever. I was so thankful to get off of that plane. The flight attendants were very nice and kept us comfortable and well-fed but sitting on a plane for ten hours really can't be that enjoyable. Vancouver was a welcome arrival! 

In Vancouver we had plenty of time to enjoy a good meal, charge our phones and get re-connected with the world! Turning off airplane mode on my cell. phone after two weeks was great! Also, returning to Canada where free wifi is common was nice, too. 

I fell asleep waiting for the flight to Comox and the short flight was really nice after such a long one. Arriving in the airport was great; our bags were there very quickly and we were on our way home! 

Although it was an amazing trip and I could have explored Europe for another year, it is also nice to be home. The trip was an experience I will never forget. All of the little things come together to make an entire experience  The stressful times, the exciting times, the scary times (like on crazy roads), the times when I felt so lucky to be experiencing what I was and all of the amazing people we continued to encounter made for an experience that cannot be forgotten. The details of what we did each and every day may be forgotten in the future (although I can always refer to this blog) but the overall sense, emotions and feelings, as well as the incredible memories, will not be forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment